Thursday, September 8, 2011

Straw Hats


 Summer is ending, although you'd never know here in Nor Cal. I thought before it came to a close I'd do a little something on straw hats.


I have a number of them of all different kinds. Including a red one I am over-making right now and you will get a DIY blog on eventually. Here is a small sample.


I know, they all seem to fall in the same color pallet, don't they? Huh. Anyway, the up side of straw is that it's cool, the downside is that the can catch and mess up the hair.


So, anyway, in honor of summer I present to you this little retrospective on straw hats. I'll be off the radar, I think, until Monday, so please enjoy.

Vintage straw hats . . .


1760-1770 via The Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art; 1910 via The Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art

1914-1917 via The Cincinnati Art Museum; 1914-1920 via The Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art

1930 cold comfort farm; 1934 tea for two; 1938 hold that kiss

1940 Sally Victor

1950 Lillian Bassman; 1954 Dior; 1954 Otto Lucas straw hat

1955 Christian Dior via The Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art; 1956 Cover

1956 Dior June; 1958 Day

And now, I must leave you. Have wonderful weekends all, and I hope you are afforded the opportunity to don a straw hat!

7 comments:

  1. I'm a SF local and would love some recommendations for your favorite hat-aquiring locations! Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only place I can guarantee will have a good vintage something is Decades of Fashion on Haight St. Unfortunately they tend to be over priced. I tend to find mine at thrift stores, like Vintage by the Pound in the Mission. If you are in Santa Cruz at all, Moon Zoom is a good source. Many of my best hats have coem from Bon Marche in Sonoma, fo soem reason she has the donator of vintage I love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You jest - I lit a fire last night

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waving my hat at Cold Comfort Farm screenshot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in HMB but work in SF, so perfect! I'm working at a new steampunk look and need inspiration. FYI there is a second hand store in Pacifica (Manor Mall) that often has hats and jewelery. I haven't found anything yet but only just discovered it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ms. Carriger, I don't know if this is the best way to reach you, but I really thought that you'd enjoy this, if you haven't seen it already: Mysterious Paper Sculptures found in libraries: http://community.thisiscentralstation.com/_Mysterious-paper-sculptures/blog/4991767/126249.html

    ReplyDelete

If you are using LJ to comment, it may not work.