Friday, November 11, 2011

Not for the Rack: Shapeless

Continuing with our series of blogs on what not to wear if you are a Lady of Means, I give you, Fashionable Reader . . .

Bad for the Boobs: Shapeless

Honestly, I don't know if this style really suits anyone, well endowed or not.


I mean, really, who wants to look like a bowling pin? That said, if you want an excellent costume drama series on the rise of the fashion house in the 1920s you can do no better than House of Elliot. I highly recommend it, but I digress, we were discussing shapelessness.

1927 via The Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art; Drop Waist 1925 via The Victoria & Albert Museum

T-Shirt Dress Byblos 1965

I include both T-shirt dresses and drop waists in this category. I remember reading and enjoying some frivolous little contemporary romance novel in high school. Until the very end where, at the most romantic moment when the hero is about to return home to find the heroine waiting for him at last . . . she puts on a T-shirt dress. I was crushed. The whole novel was ruined for me. Ruined I say!

3 comments:

  1. I don't do shapeless dresses but I do shapeless tops. I just do not want to go out in public looking like this. (Granted, I'd also never wear sleeveless or the color yellow but that's beside the point.)

    I honestly don't know why anyone would want to go out with every single roll and dimple clearly outlined for all the world to see and mock.

    But yeah, those shapeless dresses suck.

    As for drop waists - those ones are awful, yes. But I had two in high school - and granted, I was 100 pounds thinner then but still fat - that had what I called a "dropped V" - what the proper name is I don't know. Started at the hips on either side, both front and back it would drop into this V shape where the point fell lower than the crotch area instead of above like most dresses with a V waist. (At least one me they did, but I'm only 5' 3". Perhaps on a taller person maybe it would be higher up.) Far more flattering then empire waists. I can't find dresses with those kinds of waists anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Empire waists might actually work, as I've no waist to speak of anymore. I tend to wear two piece outfits to give the allusion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. shapeless -- boobless in particular-- is the main reason I hate the "styles" of (and most everything American 20's - politics, social-cultural, etc...) of the 1920's. Sorry. Probably summed up best in my ridiculous ANTI-Great Gatsby hatred. Everything is so poignantly represents is quintessential bad form to me. Just like these clothes.

    Even being a fat old woman, I know not to wear shapless! It may be comfortable to lounge or sleep in - but for all our sakes DONT BE SEEN IN PUBLIC in it! yikes.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using LJ to comment, it may not work.