Monday, November 21, 2011

Not for the Rack: Spaghetti Straps

1950s dress via Timeless Vixen Vintage; 1952 via The Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art

Bad For Boobs: Spaghetti Straps & Strapless

Spaghetti straps (or strapless for the matter) are pretty much out for the same reason.

I avoid narrow straps not necessarily because I can't wear them but because I'm self conscious. I can't wear a bra with it and for strapless I end up tugging at it all the time. Of course, I have been know (if necessary for an event) to go strapless with a good corset underneath. But without a corset . . .


  1. I know what you mean about the straps - and I certainly wouldn't wear it (in fact I couldn't wear it!) but I do love that black dress.
    Lynn :D

  2. I tend to find that any dress which will fit comfortably over my assets usually has slightly sturdier straps. I have been known, in the summer to deal with the cringe factor of flashing bra straps under a spaghetti strap top but find the best way around it is some kind of peasant blouse. Just as cool and covers all the pertinent bits.

  3. Also not for women with large, flabby, batwingy arms. Just makes them look bigger, ladies. I should know.

    Hey Gail, have you thought about maybe doing a post about the difference between properly fitted and skin tight? Lots of my fellow fatties think that when Clinton & Stacy say clothing should be fitted that it means wear clothing two or three sizes too small and I just can't convince them other wise. I noticed a lot of skinny girls and girls with big racks make this mistake too. No one seems to realize that "fitted" doesn't mean "looks painted on."

  4. Jami that's a great idea, I will put it on the list of topics and start collecting images. ~ Gail

  5. Timeless is right (referring to the little black dress)- that is a beautiful piece. I'm a plus size girl with not a lot as a far as breasts go, I find going without a bra in a thin strapped dress to be a comfortable experience. I am not as confident without my little safety lines keeping my charms in.


If you are using LJ to comment, it may not work.