Friday, September 28, 2012

Book Inspiration ~ Etiquette & Espionage

In keeping with the Win an ARC contest over on my other blog today I present to you, Fashionable Reader, outfits inspired by the cover of my forthcoming book, Etiquette & Espionage the first of my new YA Finishing School series.


First, a couple of gowns that might be worn by the characters in these books . . .


  1860s skating costume

1866-1868  The Philadelphia Museum of Art

And something for Primrose to wear in the forthcoming Parasol Protectorate Abroad series.

1890-1895  The Victoria & Albert Museum

 Some vintage picks for the Rack:

 1914 Dinner Dress  The Philadelphia Museum of Art

 1925  Raymond C. Yard  Christie’s

 1938 Evening Suit  Elsa Schiaparelli  The Arizona Costume Institute; 1938-1939Suit  Elsa Schiaparelli,   The Metropolitan Museum of Art

 1940 Elsa Schiaparelli  The Metropolitan Museum of Art

 1940 Schiaparelli ensemble; 1943 Sally Victor  The Metropolitan Museum of Art

 1945 Evening Gown  Elizabeth Hawes  Augusta Auctions

 1954 Cocktail Dress  Christian Dior  The Chicago History Museum

 1955 Norman Norell  The Indianapolis Museum of Art

 1958 Jacques Fath  The McCord Museum

 1959 Cristobal Balenciaga  The Henry Ford Costume Collection

Joan on Mad Men c. early 1960s look


And now for some modern looks . . .

 Retro take from Kate Spade for S/S 2013; Lucy on the red carpet

Big bows on the S/S runway from Hannibal Laguna

 A very Ivy hair headpiece from Arturo Rios

 A good balance for the Rack, having the weight down low; if you insist on a cropped pant then pink leather's a valid risk; slight retro take from Rouland Mauret S/S 2013

Shaneen Huxham 4 strap leather under elbow length glove

You can buy this hat from Polkaqueen on Etsy

And some nummyness to round us off . . .


Bustle cake by by Grace Cakes


Retro Rack is also on facebook where I post additional images and fashion thoughts.

7 comments:

  1. Talk about weird timing. I was planning on emailing you later today about something vintage and fashion and fun, but in the meantime and going through the final proofs of one of my older backlist romances that I'm bringing out in ebook next month.

    And I discovered that at some point in the editing process the editor-who-shall-not-be-named deleted my reference to the heroine wearing the shocking pink Schiaperelli suit from 1938. DELETED it!

    So I googled, because I am putting it back in, by golly. And I found it!

    On your blog.

    Happy day! Thanks for this! (Love this blog, as always.)

    pooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Words cannot describe how happy this makes me. Yes! Put the pink back in. Why one earth woudl it be deleted?

      Delete
  2. I haven't the slightest idea, but the less said about that particular editorial process, the better, ahem.

    Since you're modifying comments, I'll go ahead and ask here. Next Tuesday I am going to announce a contest for people to post pictures of themselves in period/era garb (their choice of era and garb) since Paisley Vandermeir (my heroine) is obsessed with same. The ebook comes out Dec 4; I'll probably end the contest that day. Would you consider judging and choosing the winner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a thoughtful offer. Sadly I have to decline, I tend to do everything by random number because I really hate playing favorites and choosing. I don't want to hurt feelings.

      Delete
    2. My thoughts exactly. Some people are comfortable with this kind of thing and others aren't, and I'm not. So I totally understand!

      Delete
  3. I took your advice and had a drawing for the winner. You are very wise.

    http://planetpooks.com/more-costume-entries-are-coming-but-first-the-winner/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! I'm so glad it worked for you. An the winner look AMAZING!!!

      Delete

If you are using LJ to comment, it may not work.