Sunday, November 18, 2012

Las Vegas in Black & Leopard

<--------------- Poll still going, although I forgot abotu the Book Inspired Outfit posts. I hope you guys like those because they are probably going to continue.

Well, Fashionable Reader, I just returned from Vegas. As one might be expected I went with leopard black and gold.


I flew Spirit Airlines (I know I hadn't heard of it either.) The seats were comfy, the clientele were Vegas-bound and excited, and they only allow one carry on. No really only one, and it has to be "personnel item sized." I was dully please to discover my last minute decision to do this trip with only one base piece allowed me to fit my leopard bag into the top of my carry-on rolly.


And my carry on-rolly was exactly the limit size. I'd like to claim skill and forethought but that's be a lie. I got flying luck, which doesn't happen often, so it was nice I ended my travel season on an up.

Necklace, vinatge gift; dress suit Haight St. $30; steampunk bracelet, ring, and earrings, gifts from fans; belts $5 ea, scarf $2, hat $7, and shirt $5 all thrifted from Bon Marche in Sonoma; bag from Chruchmouse in Sonoma $15; tights and nylons, online $10; gloves, H&M $12; earrings Teslacon Dealer's Room $15; shoes Nordstrom Rack c. $30; glasses frames, Alameda Vintage Faire $60 + lenses.

Essentially, I took my best basic LBD suit and dressed it up with leopard accessories. Yes, I realize, I need to find some leopard flats.

 The suit in full, the dress underneath, the teaching outfit version for the next day.

Sorry, the photos aren't so good. This last idea, of putting the pussy-cat bow shirt under a dress, is my latest big thing. I know, Gail, not all that much of a revelation, but I have been looking at my whole wardrobe with new eyes as a result.


I love this suit, I bought it from Buffalo Exchange on Haight Street for a song years ago. It doesn't fit me as well as it used to. (That Rack of mine!) In addition to the leopard shoes and bag, I paired it for evening with a gold belt, a vintage necklace I inherited from my family, and some steampunk filigree earrings that were a gift from a reader.






I don't have a leopard hairband for evening either, and my pork pie hat is very daytime, so I wore a little flower instead.


Leopard and black is such a classic combination I almost feel silly talking about it. Here's the Curvy Fashionista in an amazing modern take. Here's more ideas:

Vogue fashion shoot.

Some retro pieces:

 1930s  The Metropolitan Museum of Art

 1940s  Timeless Vixen Vintage


I do have a leopard bathing suit, but apart from that I don't really have the courage to wear base leopard, I strongly prefer simply to accessorize with it. So here are some picks of leopard accessories I love:


Wide calf hair belt at jcrew.com

Topshop leopard collar

Valentino Rockstud leather and calf hair gloves at net-a-porter.com
H&M Leopard Gloves (available in stores, these are the ones I have)

Christian Dior, 1950  The Metropolitan Museum of Art

 

 Loafer Style Pump, very sexy librarian
 Adorable Miz Mooz pumps that I WANT but I can't find for sale
 Stiletto pumps for a 1950s look from Stuart Weizman


Retro Rack is also on facebook where I post additional images and fashion thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. Gail, you look so beautiful! Leopard is a great accent for clothes. You put in just the right amount. I love the steampunk earrings too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love leopard print in our house, so much so my 8yr old would (& does) wear it head to toe!

    ReplyDelete

If you are using LJ to comment, it may not work.