Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Plaid in Palo Alto

For my last Etiquette & Espionage event I wore a plaid dress over a blouse with Very Big Sleeves. 

Dress is from Buffalo Exchange on Haight Street for $25, it's not vintage and has a nice bit of stretch to it. It also has pockets at the front, or more correctly one big pouch style pocket. I sewed on the clock buttons to add a little extra interest. Gloves are vintage brown leather, gift. Shoes are by Soft, but they were a dark pink color I had died brown.

This particular outfit has some steampunk notes and since the event was listed as a "Steampunk Reception" I thought I should nod in that direction. Normally, I use this blouse (1970s I think) for my Victorian recreation outfits, but I happened upon the idea of putting it under this pencil dress when watching How to Marry a Millionaire (for the millionth time).

Sorry I don't have a bigger screen shot. How to Marry a Millionaire is one of my favorite fashion movies of all time and I would like to own every outfit that each of the ladies wears. So good. Anyway where was I? Oh yes, plaid with steampunk touches.

You can kind of see the hair band. It's a big brown satin bow I got at Ross for about $4. I sewed a brass octopus to the center and added a little puff of brown feathers out the back. I'm wearing a vintage costume jewelry gold 1920s earring and brooch set, gift from my mother.

Since it was a relatively cool day I paired the dress with a vintage fur wrap.

Sadly the poor wrap ripped during the course of the day so it's gone off to Goodwill. It's pretty near impossible to repair fur and certainly more effort than I have time for. Especially as I've owned this one for three years and only worn it 2x. I picked up this wrap from Bon Marche Thrift Store for $15, so I'm not too upset about the loss. I'll do a little blog to morn its passing shortly.

 1929 Ensemble  Louiseboulanger  The Museum at FIT

However, back to plaid. I've written on a number of occasions about my love affair with this fabric. I think it goes back to my goth roots. It's one of those patterns that bisects both the alternative scene and the tweed toffy country set. Tally ho the nightclub and all that.

 Via New Vintage Lady's catalogue Sunday.

It's funny but even though I have a whole lot of plaid already in my wardrobe it's something I gravitate to whenever I am out shopping. Plaid and and color red. I'm powerless to resist.

Speaking of plaid is has been all over the Fall 2013 runways. I mean ALL OVER. I know, it's weird to think about Fall right now, but that's the fashion world for you. Kind of like publishing in a way.

 Zac Posen tweedy plaid; McQueen Plaid Coat

 Prada Plaid coat dress; Roksanda window plane plaid dress

 Tracy Reese little plaid jacket; Prada's adorable plaid suit

Vivienne Westwood Red Label Paid Coat; Browne's crazy plaid extravaganza

I recently bought a pair of pants just like these bellow for Kohls for $30. Yes I know, Gail wears trousers on occasion! Amazing. The AB is so funny. I own two pairs of jeans and on those few occasions when I wear them he comes over all shocked and surprised. "You're wearing . . . jeans!"

As ever, If you don't feel up for full plaid there is always the plaid accessorize option.

 Via Facebook

 Fall 2013 runway.

Burberry House Check gloves nordstrom.com; Vivienne Westwood Tartan Plaid Leather Gloves $165

And I shall leave you with this hotness.

Hope you all have lovely plaid filled days!

Plaid Punch Sept 1853

Retro Rack is also on facebook where I post additional images and fashion thoughts.


  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  2. AWESOME sleeves on that blouse! They can never be too big can they!? I like plaid too... but it can get a bit too much for me sometimes. But your outfit is beautiful! :)

  3. Don't know how you manage to do it: create these amazing outfits & customizing them while writing & touring & blogging. Is their a secret Frowbritcher on your closet, madly sewing on buttons & researching vintage fashion?


If you are using LJ to comment, it may not work.