Thursday, February 14, 2013

Selling the Timeless Dress

Fashionable Reader,

I am selling my 1930s fuchsia maxi dress with matching hat that I wore for the Goodbye Parasol Protectorate Tea. It's up on ebay for $50 (which is a deal as I bought it for S60 or so, plus another S20 for the hat, and I only wore it once before dry cleaning.)


 It's made of taffeta with typical 1930s bias cut.

 Both 1930s via Timeless Vixen Vintage

1930s  Whitaker Auctions;  1930s  The Frock

This style of dress always has a bit of a night gown feel to me, and this one has amazing movement. It was fun to wear striding about the stage. Unfortunately, I had to admit to myself that my Rack is too big for it, and I won't wear it because I am self conscious.

 Nightgown  1946-1948  The Metropolitan Museum of Art

It a beautiful color kind of like fuchsia meets antique rose.

 Evening Dress 1953-1954  The Victoria & Albert Museum; Roberto Cavalli silk-jersey gown net-a-porter.com

My dress has this lovely split back just high enough so as not to show the bra. It's a detail I particularly love.


There is a short attached sash that ties behind and puffed sleeves. It also has the matching hat which is velvet with a satin ribbon.


I am 5"6' and the length of the skirt is perfect on me with heels. However, I'm top heavy (6-8 top size, 30H bra but 2-6 pant size) and I think this dress would better suit soemone with the reverse body type: smaller chest, larger hips. Rib gerth is a little narrow.

The dress in great condition a few minor stains and signs of age, but for the 1930's it seems it was rarely worn.

Anyway there it is. Bid if you so desire.

Gail

Retro Rack is also on facebook where I post additional images and fashion thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using LJ to comment, it may not work.