Wednesday, May 15, 2013

France in Fashion ~ Parasol Meets Umbrulla

Rumor is that in Paris the French do not approve of umbrellas. However, research shows this was not always the case. I present to you a collection of images proving that, at one time, the French loved the umbrella and the parasol...

 Gustave Caillebotte ~ Paris Street Rainy Day 1877 (PD wiki)

 Georges Seurat ~ A Sunday on La Grande Jatte 1884 (PD wiki)

Alfred Stevens ~ La Parisienne 1880 (PD wiki)

1920 Erte Parasols

Edouard Manet ~ Spring 1881 (PD wiki)

James Tissot ~ Two Sisters

August Macke ~ Before the Hat Shop

Paul Cézanne ~ La Promenade

Grün ~ An Elegant Lady with a Parasol

 La Mode Illustree

1950s Dior

Leslie Caron

Peach With A Parasol

 Dior 2011

I will be toting my umbrella in leau of a parasol, as even the French are not allowed to interfere with the state of my hair. The weather is scheduled to be most unpredictable in May, so for Gail a brolly is a must. I know, so British of me. Yes, you read that right, I'll be packing an umbrella not parasol. Gasp! I really can't travel around France for three weeks with a parasol, not even my cute folding one.

So yes, you guessed it, Fashionable Reader, I fly to France tomorrow. Don't you worry, I know how to schedule posts here on blogspot so you'll have regular drops of Then & Nows and even a few others while I am away.

Retro Rack is also on facebook where I post additional images and fashion thoughts.


  1. We use umbrellas in Paris but I have to admit that when the streets are crowded - as is often the case - walking with an umbrella soon becomes tedious.
    For Epinal, I'm thinking about bringing my parasol, if only for the show. I have had few opportunities to wear it so far.

  2. I'm french but love umbrellas ;).
    Discovering your fashion blog is a pleasure. And meet you at Etonnants Voyageurs yesterday too (but i was so impressionated that i lost my tongue :p! And my pretty little girl with red hair too :)!


If you are using LJ to comment, it may not work.