Tuesday, November 26, 2013

New Aquisition ~ Sweater Set



Recently, I purchased this cream sweater set at the Alameda Vintage Fashion Fair. I know it's crazy Rack-tacular, but it fills a niche in my closet. I assure you I am wearing it with very cute heels. I don't know why I bother, no one ever pantographs the shoes. We are a world of torso-ed people.


Sweater sets may emphasize but they are good for us well endowed ladies. Because they stretch. This one fits my top and my bottom which, with an 11 inch difference is usual even for knitwear. Ladies, I am seriously considering a reduction. It's just too ridiculous.


Marlyn needs a better bra.

Couple of vintage sets:

Suzy Parker wearing Balenciaga by the Seine. 1953. Photo by Louise Dahl-Wolfe

Fashion photography by Leombruno-Bodi, 1956 via hollyhocksandtulips tumblr

Evelyn Tripp (right), September 1952 via theniftyfifties tumblr

And from the current runways:

 Organic by John Patrick fall 2013 & Creatures of Comfort Fall 2013

McQ Alexander McQueen fall 2013

For Alexia to wear:


Jacket  Emile Pingat, 1885  The Victoria & Albert Museum

For Sophronia to wear:


Le Conseiller des Dames Saturday, March 1, 1851 v. 35, plate 45

Retro Rack is also on facebook where I post additional images and fashion thoughts.

13 comments:

  1. That McQ one looks like something Princess Leia would wear! Love it!

    And 2 friends who have had reductions wish they'd done it sooner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. My hesitation is merely a matter of the time commitment and the bother of trying to find the right doctor.

      Delete
    2. One friend had hers in Sacramento, but you can likely find a good doc in the Bay Area

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. The time commitment is not huge, for major surgery. You don't even have to spend a night in the hospital, although I would strongly recommend it. My recovery time was two weeks, and then (this was the bad part) no exercising, heavy lifting, or raising my hands above my shoulders for three months. My surgeon, Dr. Ken Bermudez, is one of the best in the country, and his office is in San Francisco, in Laurel Heights.

      Delete
  2. That's a beautiful outfit- almost no one can wear cream except you and potentially Alexia... Regarding reduction, you gotta do what you gotta do- my best friend and bad angel who sits on my shoulder had major reduction surgery done in '91 or so and said it was the best thing ever. I remember the backache and shoulder-ache she endured for years. If you need to converse with a gal who had the surgery I'm sure she'd be glad to give her 2 cents. Cheers. Patty KM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I have been considering it for a while. I really just want to talk to someone in my area who has had it done recently with a doctor I might use. That's my problem, I like a personal referral for anything this major.

      Delete
    2. You seem like the type who might over-book herself. Make it a priority. The recovery time isn't awful, but you'll need to power-down.

      Delete
  3. I got a reduction. Went from a 34 H/I to a C/D. It really was the best thing ever. Recovery time differs from person to person of course. I only had to take one percocet in the hospital and one when I got home and that was it. My down time was only 3 days, and two days was in the hospital. But I wonder if my case is unique, and that I take pain really well. I think that any doctor you talk to would be able to refer you to a previous client?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly expect so but that's not the same as a friends personal experience. Good to hear your recovery time was so short. I suspect I will take longer, since I'm getting older it takes me longer to heal.

      Delete
    2. I was 33 at the time, it has been 3 years and most of the scars have healed down to nice thin lines. But I think that maybe I am just lucky and heal really well.

      Delete
  4. I've just had a reduction--six weeks this Friday. I had almost the polar opposite experience of Me: terrible hospital stay, overwhelming and poorly controlled pain, infection, spots that won't heal, ridiculous spit stitches. It was not a good experience at all.

    That said, even if I knew I'd have the same complications, I would have it done again in a heartbeat. It was been the best thing i have ever one for my back. It's absolutely an amazing, completely life-changing experience

    If you have questions, feel free to email me ohsweetvioletATgmailDOTcom

    Good luck either way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw the shoes in action! They were indeed adorable.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using LJ to comment, it may not work.