Thursday, May 22, 2014

Mesa Arizona in a Pink Gown at LepreCon


 For LepreCon I also took a newer acquisition of mine, this sort of 1930's gausy bright pink maxi dress I got at the BCBG outlet store last year.


Because this dress is bloused and filmy it isn't the most flattering gown on my figure ~ tailored is always better on me. But I have an odd love of this gown despite that. I didn't wear pink at all until my 30's and now I dive into it rather enthusiastically.

"...have little to say to a woman who is travelling without a companion, and whose face is painted, who wears a profusion of long curls about her neck, who has a meretricious expression of eye, and who is over-dressed."
~ The Ladies' Guide to True Politeness and Perfect Manners or, Miss Leslie's Behaviour Book by Eliza Leslie (American 1864)



In order to give me some kind of figure, I paired it with a wide belt to cinch in as much as possible. (I swear, I have a waist!) I don't have a lippy to match, so I went with a dark wine color.


I wore it with white gloves, my shell fan earrings, and a bow hairband. Two misses, I'm afraid. The shell earrings are much heavier than I like which means I can really only wear them for evenings (read: shorter lengths of time). The bow hairband is too tight. I'm trying to stretch it out right now but I think I'm going to have to either deconstruct it or replace it. It was a super cheapy from Ross anyway.

 The up side of a maxi dress is I feel I can sneak in flats for the day. With this dress I wore my newest acquisition (shoe-wise) a pair of blush pink flats. They are Mia's Nomads and I spotted the in black patent at Nordstrom Rack, then went and found them online in a color I actually needed for my wardrobe. The blush is so close to nude as to basically be a neutral which makes them pretty darn serviceable.


They come in 7 different colors (not cream, which was what I really needed) and I must say I am tempted to get them in a few other shades (blue snakeskin, squee!) but I have to be good. They fit my foot well, not to high int he back, slip off for TSA, and are comfortable. Plus, I love a pointed flat with a bit of detail and interest.

Two more outfits to report on! I'll be back soon.

Retro Rack is also on facebook where I post additional images and fashion thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. I love that shade of pink, it always makes the think of Elsa Schiaparelli and her wonderful designs. It looks wonderful on you, although I do see how support might be an issue...

    ReplyDelete

If you are using LJ to comment, it may not work.