Thursday, May 29, 2014

Mesa Arizona in Red Check at LepreCon ~ Gail Fail


This was my least favorite outfit at LepreCon, but I am posting it for you to see anyway. See how honest I am, Fashionable Reader? I even show you my mistakes.


I still love this jumper but with the blazer open like that it's super frumpy and shapeless. I swear, I have a waist! Look, see?

In 2012 at SDCC ~ only 2 years ago

Amazing what a difference two years and one jacket can make, no?

The outfit possibilities.

"Still, it is bad taste to go to the dinner-table in ungenteel and unbecoming habiliments—such as a figured or party-coloured mousseline-de-laine, a thing which always has the effect of calico, and, like calico, gives an unlady-like look even to the most decided lady. In fact, what is it but woollen calico? And if it is accompanied by a very thin, flimsy collar, so small and narrow as to be scarcely visible, the neck and face will look dingy and ill-coloured for want of sufficient white to relieve it. No collar at all, but merely a coloured silk handkerchief, or a coloured dress, coming immediately against the neck, is disfiguring to all women, and men too."
~ The Ladies' Guide to True Politeness and Perfect Manners or, Miss Leslie's Behaviour Book by Eliza Leslie (American 1864)

Packing

Despite my dislike of this outfit, I still love gingham, read and white, and even drop waists, when fitted properly.

patternbook_gingham_plaid

Here are some inspirational images...

1840s  The Museum at FIT

1897 Ensemble  The FIDM Museum

1930 Swimsuit  Cole of California, late 1930s  The Los Angeles County Museum of Art

1940s  The Goldstein Museum of Design2

1950s  Timeless Vixen Vintage

1970s Womens Knit Dress
2013 Ginta-Lapina-Moschino-Cheap-Chic-Chic-Petals

2013 Milano-Fashion-Week
Vichy-Gingham

Retro Rack is also on facebook where I post additional images and fashion thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. I'm no expert, but I think with a big hat for balance, the jacket works. Cute dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you oughta know Miss Thing that you have a pretty kick ass bod. I think the way that dress skims over you is very flattering. It's very obvious you have a waist. Even with the cardigan on.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using LJ to comment, it may not work.