Thursday, July 10, 2014

Gail's 10 Rules of Shopping eShakti


10 Rules When Shopping eShakti 

  1. Have someone who knows what they are doing take your measurements, and be honest. Then customize everything.
  2. Find coupons and take advantage of special sales, they have them a lot. After your first order they often send a $25 off thank you that can be used on top of other offers, I suggest waiting a few weeks for this coupon before ordering again.
  3. Know exactly what you want before you place your custom order, from neckline to sleeves.
  4. If you have any concerns, note them in the comments box provided.
  5. Be very clear with your wants and have a back up plan on customization in case they can't meet your needs. "Limited stock" means they may be out of the fabric you want by the time they get to your order.
  6. Dresses are lined but some fabric quality and attention to stitching detail is lacking.
  7. If you have a particular event in mind, order at least a month ahead of time to be on the safe side.
  8. Busty? Add sleeves if you can. Don't order any dress that doesn't have seams in the torso area, anything that relies on waist tucks will not work. Consider necklines carefully. (I like sweetheart, high back scoop, and notched)
  9. Hippy? Pockets in full skirts add volume, most of their dresses have side pockets but it's free to take them out, your choice. 
  10. Problems with the bill? Telephone gets a faster response time than email. Concerns with the customization? Email works fine.


Do let me know if you try eShakti and if you liked it. This is not a sponsored post, I'm entirely honest in my reporting on this matter and was really was happy with the results. But I known not everyone feels the same way. If you leave a comment with your experience, than readers get a fuller perspective.


Retro Rack is also on facebook where I post additional images and fashion thoughts.

13 comments:

  1. I've been following your posts on this and I think I'll give them a try. I too will be needing dresses for events since my book comes out next spring. I am continually frustrated by outfits that I like, except the hemline is too long (gives me chicken legs) or the neck is too plunging (I have scars that I'm not particularly self-conscious about, but don't necessarily want them on display). This may be a good solution for me!

    I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may indeed. I think the boat neck totally faltering and their hem line was spot on, for me. You can't get it for every dress, though. I'm considering above the knee because it looks much better with flats but I'm kinda addicted to at the knee so I keep ordering that.

      Delete
    2. I'm going to go ahead and guess "flattering" over "faltering" for the neckline? Haha. All I pretty much have to wear with skirts is one pair of Mephisto flats, or black or brown steampunkish boots. O, the woes of picky plantar fasciitis footsies! I'll have to go through my closet and see where most of my hemlines fall.

      I tend to go shorter, but if I remember correctly from my stage days, it can be far too easy to, erm, overshare your knickers in that case.

      Delete
  2. I just ordered my first dress yesterday after your positive experience. I am excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your experience is as good as mine.

      Delete
    2. I don't think you'll be sorry...I found Eshakti about 4 months ago and have had no issues...even with one return (not their fault, just didn't compliment my figure). Just ready to order 4 more dresses for a cruise...I love that I can't pick and choose what I would like on each dress individually. I hope you have the same experience I have. Best Regards

      Delete
  3. 2nd attempt; my first comment vanished!

    I have bought a dress from eShakti, before they stopped shipping to Canada due to crazy custom fees. (Well, internationally due to crazy custom fees. And they were indeed impressively high, so I was very thankful that I didn't pay full price for the dress!)

    While over all, I am very happy with my dress, I did have concerns-- I was greatly looking forward to how your dresses turned out, Gail, to see how they worked for you.

    You see, I'm fairly busty. I'm very familiar with my measurements, as I make my own costumes, and my dress fits perfectly... But. It has a side zipper and a very tight band below the bust, which has absolutely no stretch to it. As a result, getting the dress on and off is something of a struggle. The band simply isn't big enough to fit easily over my chest, and the neckline on the particular dress I have isn't big enough to step into.

    I wasn't a fan of side zippers in general, and I don't think I'd get a side-zipped dress from eShakti again. Or, if I did, only one with some stretch to it and without the empire waist. Something to be aware of, for those who plan to buy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never used them myself but I've heard some pretty decent things about them from other women, they have a very generous size range and the customisation is reasonably priced and not restricted to certain styles or sizes (from what I've heard).

    I'm not currently in a position to order from them but it's nice to read how your experience with them went as I find the best way to get to know a company is how they deal with customers when things don't go smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gail, check your Other Inbox messages on FB.

    I apologize but Facebook couldn't let my message go directly sent to you fast

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came here to check out the eShakti info, as suggested by someone on Facebook. Then I saw the quote from the Parasol Protectorate series, and was like, I love those books, this blogger is awesome!. Then I looked back up and saw this blog actually belongs to Gail Carriger!! O_O !!!!! :D Good times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! What a round about way to find me!

      Delete
  7. I love eshakti-- it's taken me an order or two to figure out what fabrics and styles work best, but their customer service is fabulous so I've never had issues with exchanges.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE LOVE LOVE eShakti and always will. But as a longtime shopper I've noticed a couple of things: 1) They run small. Anyone who has just ordered a standard sized garment has probably noticed this. Sadly, the amount of small they run isn't the same with every garment, leaving me very surprised to discover I can't button one dress over my chest when the other of the same apparent size and style fits perfectly. 2) Maybe this is just me, but whenever I order something with a short skirt, I have to claim to be about two inches shorter than I am. I once ordered a crinoline that was meant to hit just above the knee. It grazes my shins. And 3) Beware if you're long waisted! I'm very, very short waisted, so it's great for me. My poor long waisted mother has never had any luck.

    It's worth it to learn the quirks, though! Where would I be without all my ridiculously printed dresses?

    ReplyDelete

If you are using LJ to comment, it may not work.