Tuesday, September 9, 2014

13 of My Favorite Things Right Now


Well, Fashionable Reader, as I have been engaged in yet another epic copy edit battle I struggle to find things that keep me upbeat and happy. Here are a few of the things I am loving because of the fashion world and my own closet at the moment.


Amazon has way too many of these sun glasses in different colors from $5 - $10. I kind of just want them all. But I picked up this bright read pair and have been totally loving them. Would you continue to speak to me if I also got the pink?
 I got this thick stretchy crepe skirt at the Alameda Vintage Faire a little while ago. (Sad to be missing their next event as I am on book tour.) It may have started life as something else. It has a bit of a slit off each side with makes it one of the few pencil skirts I think looks OK on my body type with flats. Consequently I have been wearing it all summer any time I am not on the bike and have actually bothered to shave my legs.


 I have had these sandals forever (also in leopard). These are CKs Fanya and look deceptively boring, but they are so darn comfortable and super flattering. Each summer I rediscover the joy and basically live in them. I know I just talked about flats, but if I am going to wear heels in heat, it's usually these.I would give good money to have them in pretty much every color.


Pair of earrings gifted to me by one of my glob trotting friends, they just seem to go with everything right now.


I'm not usually one for long necklaces because they bounce around weirdly on the Rack but this one from Target has the knot in the right place. I like to break up the look of a high necked top (necessary to disguise the bra) on an over-sized chest with a necklace. I think it draws attention to the face, lengthening the line of the upper body, or some such rot. Unfortunately it is one of those that gets caught in the little hairs at the back of the neck. Annoying.


The weather is just starting to turn in favor of scarves again, and I have some lovely new ones to wear yet which one do I reach for? This parasol decorated beauty from Clockwork Couture. Sometimes a girl just has to return to her old favorites.

Speaking of which with autumn upon us here are a few things I am looking forward to wearing.


Tights. I love them. I wear them as soon as the California weather will let me.


W&W book tour is all blues, teals, and greens in DC, Boston, and Chicago this November. I'm already starting to  plan my outfits, and explore my wardrobe. This ring is one of those I'm really looking forward to wearing.


This hat is another one. It's a little big for me to pack as a carry on but for the first half of my trip I can bring checked luggage so I am packing lots of shoes and hats I don't ordinarily get to wear.

Speaking of up and coming, in my immediate future are two weddings to attend. Currently my plan is to wear the following to the first one:


I'm going to put a massive poof petticoat under it. Wha ha ha!

"Your dress need not be more showy than you would wear when dining at a private house, particularly if you are a permanent boarder."
~ The Ladies' Guide to True Politeness and Perfect Manners or, Miss Leslie's Behaviour Book by Eliza Leslie (American 1864)


With these flats, or maybe those wedge sandals, but it's outside in a botanical garden so I'm not sure. I need to go find my old, good, faire hat to wear with. My regular cream one isn't nice enough.

"There is no use or beauty in a lady looking older than is necessary, by wearing a short-eared or round-eared cap, set back from her head, and exposing all her cheeks even beyond her ears, with the crease in her chin, and the deep furrows or wrinkles on each side of her neck—all which can be concealed by bringing forward the bow of her cap tabs."
~ The Ladies' Guide to True Politeness and Perfect Manners or, Miss Leslie's Behaviour Book by Eliza Leslie (American 1864)

The second wedding is inside and a bit more conservative so I'm going to wear this:


I haven't worn this dress in ages so I am really looking forward to it. 

Miz Mooz Starla dress pumps (in cream, brown, black, red and green)

With my new cream pumps. This will be their first official outing.

Retro Rack is also on facebook where I post additional images and fashion thoughts.

3 comments:

  1. Where did you find those cream pumps? I love leather with cutouts! It makes something that would seem frumpy or boring into something delicate and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are Miz Mooz Starla dress pumps and come in cream, brown, black, and red. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GD2L4C2/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00GD2L4C2&linkCode=as2&tag=authgailcarr-20&linkId=PYKSSZFGE5HQ5S3B
      If you want soemthign with even more cut outs the Sharon is pretty cool. Also in Black, brown, red. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CL3YNR0/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00CL3YNR0&linkCode=as2&tag=authgailcarr-20&linkId=5BFRKRSZZ4OAWO5M
      One or both used to come in blue or green. Also the Starla fit me great while the Sharon wasn't as comfortable for some reason. I know they look so much alike.

      Delete
  2. Ditto on the cream pumps - delish! And I think you're required to have those lunettes de soliel en rose vraiment!

    ReplyDelete

If you are using LJ to comment, it may not work.