Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Fans that Aren't Fans for Sophronia

As I said before my main character, Sophronia, is a spy. And I have been raised to believe that all spies should have a signature weapon. In Waistcoats & Weaponry Sophronia finally gets hers: the bladed fan.

As I was researching fans I came across these fun ones, sort of spy-like in and of themselves... fans that aren't fans at all.

A fan that is a dance card:
1890 Carnet de Bal  1890s  Sotheby’s
A fan that is a cane:
1880 A rare cane from 1880, featuring an opening slot in the shaft, containing a red fan. The fan opens out 180 degrees and clips to the side of the shaft

 A fan that is an advertisement:

1880 Trade Fan  1880  The Metropolitan Museum of Art
A fan that is a gun:

via @NoCrazyTalk on Twitter (THANK YOU)

A fan advocating the Hypocras Club?
1900 Tiffany & Co., late 19th-early 20th century

Retro Rack is also on facebook where I post additional images and fashion thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using LJ to comment, it may not work.