Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Waistcoats & Weaponry Breaking Down the Cover ~ Sophronia's Fan


Today Curtsies & Conspiracies paperback hits stores. Inside is included a sneak peek at Waistcoats & Weaponry which is out next month. For you, Fashionable Reader, I'll be delving a little into the fashionable side of my next book's cover art.

On the cover of Waistcoats & Weaponry Sophronia is holding a fan.


I don't interfere much with my cover art or I try not too. I think Little Brown does a great job. But for Waistcoats & Weaponry I really pushed the fan. I even went so far as to mail my fan to New York so it could be a prop in the photo shoot. I cannot tell you how delighted I am that they used it.


 Here I am with the actual fan at Anomoly Con a few years ago.


You can see how they added in the blades to Sophronia's version? After all she is deadly and I'd never get a bladed fan through TSA.

Mine if from Brute Force Studios. (There is also a black version!)

Hooray! Love the fans.

Godeys Sept 1872 Fan

1900 Folding Fan  China, early 20th century  The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston

I'll be doing a bit of a retrospective and exploration of fans over the next few weeks here on the fashion blog in conjunction with Sophronia's obsession, I hope you will indulge me.

Retro Rack is also on facebook where I post additional images and fashion thoughts.

3 comments:

  1. It's cool that you got to add a prop to the cover. And I hadn't noticed the blades before now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you tell me how they added the blades to the fan? I'm interested in having it done and purchasing that exact fan to replicate the look and didn't know if it was edited in through photoshop or if they had a detachable blade.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using LJ to comment, it may not work.