Saturday, November 22, 2014

Paisley Print 1950s Day Dress in DC & Chicago for the Waistcoats & Weaponry Tour


As noted in recent posts, for my Waistcoats & Weaponry book tour, Fashionable Reader, I tried to dress in outfits that matched my cover. On Friday of World Fantasy convention and on my first day in Chicago I wore this vintage 1950s paisley print dress in shades of green and blue. (This is the same dress that I wore for the launch party for Crudrat.)


In both the versions pictured above, I am wearing it over a Dark Garden sweetheart custom corset. The first (with the black accessories) is at World Fantasy and second (with the brown) is for Crudrat. The black accessories included my black teardrop hat with magnetic teal flower, steampunk fan earrings (similar), elastic black bow belt (similar $4), new black Born oxford wingtips, and, of course, my gold pen necklace.

Here is the dress later on the tour without the proper foundation garments...


See? Proper corsetry makes all the difference. Also when in the right underpinning, I tend to prance and twirl around the hotel room in my skivvies (since the corset and crinoline are both white and the latter made of copious amounts of tulle) singing "I'm a pretty ballerina." As if I were 8.


 The lovely lady pictured with me was wearing these boots, or ones very like. They are velvet and come in red (and used to come in purple) as well as the black ($81). I actually nearly bought some from Clockwork Couture but they don't come in half sizes and I am a pretty clean 7.5. Speaking of Clockwork Couture have you seen Donna's boot collection lately? Oh my goodness!



Not a perfect match to the cover but I did my best.

And here is a fan for Sophronia:

Fan  1620  The Victoria & Albert Museum

Retro Rack is also on facebook where I post additional images and fashion thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are using LJ to comment, it may not work.