Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Gail Loves Stripes ~ Her Characters Model the Trend

I do love stripes, Fashionable Reader. I've no idea why, they mostly look pretty awful with my figure. I vastly prefer a vertical stripe, I think they are elongating, who knows if that's really true.

Anyway, here are my characters modeling strips for your delectation...

The Finishing School Books

For Sophronia:

1850 hewhoworshipscarlin tumblr

For Agatha:

1857 Peterson's Magazine Wednesday, April 1, 1857 Item ID-  v. 39, plate 2

 For Dimity:

 1865 Robe à Transformation Musée Galliera de la Mode de la Ville de Paris

For Monique:

1865 zeehasablog-tumblr Fashion plate from Les Modes Parisiennes, for Peterson’s Magazine, 1865

The Parasol Protectorate Books:

For Evilyn:

1870 Croquet Ensemble British Manchester Galleries

For Ivy:

1870 fripperiesandfobs-tumblr Day dress and cape, early 1870’s     
From the collection of Alexandre Vassiliev

For Countess Nadasdy:

fripperiesandfobs- Wedding dress, 1876-78     
From the Galleria del Costume di Palazzo Pitti via Europeana Fashion

For Alexia:

1884 Charles Fredrick Worth, 1884  The Chicago Museum of History

The Custard Protocol Books:

For Countess Nadasdy:

1890  Afternoon Dress  Jean-Philippe Worth, 1890s  The Metropolitan Museum of Art

For Rue:

1893-1894 Visit The Metropolitan Museum of Art

For Prim:

1897 Day dress, 1897 via shewhoworshipscarlin tumblr

For Lord Akeldama:

1928 Blazer  1928  The Museum at FIT

After the books!

For Gail:

1950 fawnvelveteen tumblr

 "Lucky Dog" by Gil Elvgren, 1958

via Glamorous❤Vintage❤Soul

Retro Rack is also on facebook where I post additional images and fashion thoughts.

You can also visit the following shopping lists: Travel Dork, My Steampunk, My Wardrobe.


  1. Wow, all those gorgeous dresses. Good thing we dress in less these days, imagine the cost of all those layers with today's manufacture prices.

  2. When I saw, Gentle Reader, the dress on the Metropolitan Museum website, I too thought of the Countess. There was one other, but alas it wasn't striped. I can send it to you on Twitter if you would like to see it as well.

  3. Hm...And what would Lord A wear with that jacket, I wonder?

  4. A belated comment, but I also adore stripes. Mostly of the horizontal variety though, particularly in blue and white (I do love a nautical theme) - but I could possibly be persauded to vertical by those 1950s dresses.


If you are using LJ to comment, it may not work.