Tuesday, September 1, 2015

New Rack Vrs. Old Rack Bras & Calculations


Right, so. I'm over 2 months out from my reduction surgery and it is time to invest in a few new bras. I still can only wear ones that have no underwire but I can resume physical activity so what I need is something to exercise in and perhaps something vintage looking to make me happy.

Please note that bras in my size are made only by certain companies, and they tend to use UK sizing. Unless otherwise stated, all sizing is UK. If you recommend a bra because you think I've never heard of brand (Goddess, Elomi, Enell, any high street or walk in store like Vicky S) it's actually that they do not carry my band size, or cup size, or both. The perils of being an outlier. Ewa is a whole different conversation not to mention level of expense.

First things first, measurements.

Old measurements:
Ribs: 28"
Rack: 41"
What did I wear in bras? Panache 28J, Freya, Fantasie & Cleo 30H, Royce & Anita 32H

New measurements:
Ribs: 30" (that's what happens when I lie around eating)
Rack: 38"
I used tape measurements and this bra size calculator.
What did I order to try? Freya 30FF, Royce 30FF
What do I still want to try? Fantasie & Cleo 30FF, Anita 32F

DETAILS...

On order, I'll let you know how it goes.

1. Bra that Gives Good Vintage Shape

What I used to wear: Freya Dotty Nursing Bra 32H

 Freya Dotty Nursing Bra

I know, it's a nursing bra, it's OK. I just reassemble it a bit and the extra support is nice. Sometimes the straps creak slightly but I figure that adds to the vintage state of my underpinnings. I'll be ordering this one in a 30FF to try with my new figure.

 2. Sports Bra

What I used to wear: Anita Women's Extreme Control Sport Bra 32H

Anita Women's Extreme Control Sport Bra

I like this bra and it mostly still fits but it doesn't give the support it used to. Also it is starting to pill and scratch. Anita doesn't offer a 30FF and I wonder if they are listing US sizes, so I will likely try a 32F.

What I used to wear: Anita Women's Extreme Control Sport Bra 32H

Anita Women's Extreme Control Sport Bra

See above. One of the few wire free sports bras that comes in nude so it can be worn as a t-shirt bra also. I'll order one or the other of these Anitas in a size I think might work and then get the other one if it does.

What I used to wear: Royce Women's Impact Free Cotton Sports Bra 32H

Royce Women's Impact Free Cotton Sports Bra

This one offers free returns so I'll be trying it first. It's not my favorite sport bra, the neckline is very high making it useless as a regular bra (I prefer a sports bra for overnight flights) and the Velcro on the back is stupid and unnecessary but I want to give something a low risk try so 30FF here I come...

 Underwire bras I'd like to replace, but have to wait for doctor's go ahead.

1. Vintage Look Underwire Full Support Bra


What I used to wear: Panache Women's Tango II Balconnet Bra in 28J
Panache Women's Tango II Balconnet Bra

The incorrectly named Tango Balconnet Bra is not a balconnet at all, it's full coverage. The lace is stiff and scratchy, so I likely won't buy this bra itself again. I owned it in both black and nude because it does give great lift and a very nice vintage look and was perfect for my old rack at 28J, not an easy size to find.

What I'll try instead: Fantasie Serene Full Cup Underwire Bra 30FF


Fantasie Serene Full Cup Underwire Bra

2. Low Cut, Wide Spaced Strap, Uplift Bra

What I used to own: Cleo Women's Juna Balconnet Bra 30H

Cleo Women's Juna Balconnet Bra

This bra's was the only one I could find that gave good support and a low neckline. I will likely buy it again in a 30FF if it is still available when I can start wearing under-wire.

3. T-Shirt Bra

What I used to own: Fantasie Women's Smoothing Moulded T-Shirt Bra 30H


I'll likely try this one again too, in a 30FF.

So there you have it. I'll report in on the wire-free ones first. Then in a few months let you know how the underwire ones go. Of course I may have to get all new bras, if my shape has shifted too much.

Retro Rack is also on facebook where I post additional images and fashion thoughts.

You can also visit the following shopping lists: Travel Dork, My Steampunk, My Wardrobe.

16 comments:

  1. I find it so hard to find good sports bras that clasp, rather than pulling on over the head, so thank you for these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I only but the clasp ones. The ones that pull over the head never have a tight enough band to really do any support work. For me at least.

      Delete
  2. Victoria's Secret and Lane Bryant hace a nice sports bra that hooks in the front, then zips closed. no underwire. Since the same design is carried at both stores, you might have luck in finding one that works for your new shape. Lots of malls have both stores so its a one stop shop. Not vintage-y looking at all, but comfy for workouts.

    @JenTheEditor

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't recall if you've ever said you've tried curvy kate, they are my favorite! Idk if they have styles without underwire, but I own two of them (30h) and LOVE them. I think I may have an unworn bra in a 30E do you know any good places to donate bras? Or busty ladies should set up a swap or something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried on one once, I find the cute and lacy but very very scratchy. They do come in my size, thank heavens. And I may try them again some day but the band support has never been outstanding.

      Delete
    2. I've found out of all of the strapless bras I've ever tried, the ck I have is the best. Maybe just the style you had? Maybe just the strapless I have that rocks LOL

      Delete
    3. I've found out of all of the strapless bras I've ever tried, the ck I have is the best. Maybe just the style you had? Maybe just the strapless I have that rocks LOL

      Delete
  4. I don't recall if you've ever said you've tried curvy kate, they are my favorite! Idk if they have styles without underwire, but I own two of them (30h) and LOVE them. I think I may have an unworn bra in a 30E do you know any good places to donate bras? Or busty ladies should set up a swap or something!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I <3 Anita sports bras, but they are SO HARD TO FIND in Australia, its ridiculous. Where do you get yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazon via various 3rd party vendors. Since they aren't offered via prime or with free returns, it's a cost outlay in return shipping if it doesn't fit right. V. annoying.

      Delete
  6. I love that Juna balconnet, but how do you wear it without the seams showing through your top?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why do most sports bras come in black or white? Nude is so hard to find. Wonder if Anita has smaller sizes? D cups?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm similar in size to you and I've found Empriente to be most comfortable, but SO expensive. Just fell in love with the Panache sports bra though... lots of bra, but very supportive. I have found it difficult to find bras with enough support and coverage that don't dig into my armholes. Very narrow shoulders here...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shock Absorber makes a really good sports bra and I think they carry your size.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I am also an unusual size and have just been suffering with a not-terrible-but-wrong size.

    ReplyDelete

If you are using LJ to comment, it may not work.