Thursday, September 3, 2015

WorldCon Day Three ~ Flowered 1940s Day Dress & Pink 1930s Evening Gown

So, Fashionable Reader, I wore a burnt sienna colored lipstick for these outfits. Something about Spokane made my regular red lipstick fail. (In fact, I ordered a new long last product as a result, just to try Smashbox.) Yes, I am aware it harkens more to the 1990s than any later period, but sometimes the lips must smack to another color.

For Saturday daytime I wore an old favorite: my flowered day dress.

This is a great dress. Unfortunately, I split the sleeve at the seam, a la Hulk, halfway through the day before I ran into any friends and remembered to press them into taking a photo. Sigh. So this picture from my kaffeeklatch will have to do.

Kaffeeklatsch by Kelly Horn via FB

As you can see, I paired it with the pale blue-grey fascinator ($15), (I like this so much I'm thinking of investing in the red one as well), some filigree steampunk earrings (gift from a reader), vintage cream gloves (similar $11), and the obligatory pen necklace ($19). I wore little gold flats (similar) because I kept having to go up 9 flights of stairs to my room. Good thing too, for that split sleeve happened when I had only 10 minutes between panels. I was still late to the panel, but not for lack of speed. I was on time, just couldn't find the darn thing. I ended up wearing the outfit I had planned for Sunday (sorry, moving so fast for the rest of that day that no one got a photo).

Saturday night, in honor of the Hugos (although I didn't attend) I wore a long bright pink diaphanous gown. It's modern, but kinda crazy 1930s cool.

I paired it with a head scarf ($7) and a gold flower clip ($8), gold gloves, gold clip earrings (vintage) and the same gold flats as earlier. I was feeling rather outrageous.

A word on the headscarf: I purchased a number of these (blogged about theme here) to use during recovery from surgery and then as head/neck scarves. Turns out that 20x20 inches is NOT big enough for the head, I need at least 30x30 or 40x40. So I've ordered a few others. I'll let you know what I think.

Since I have so few images of the outfits, here's a glimpse at the packing:

And here are some of the cool things I spotted in the dealer's room at a booth called Crystal's Joyll. Or something equally challenging to read and comprehend. If I gave convention dealers/Etsy shops any one piece of advice it would be: "Pursue Memorable Branding." Don't be cute. Don't be clever. Don't be fancy. Be easy to remember. Sigh.

Retro Rack is also on facebook where I post additional images and fashion thoughts.

You can also visit the following shopping lists: Travel Dork, My Steampunk, My Wardrobe.


  1. Hmm, "Crystal's Idyll," perhaps? The pink ensemble is smashing.

  2. The pink diaphanous gown looks gorgy.I agree tha it is very reminiscent of the 1930s. Wallis would have worn it. So right for not attending the awards. How was the 'Losers' Party'?

    1. It was interesting. Hard to articulate my feelings. I enjoyed the event and it was a dear friend's birthday, so we did our best to dance and have fun and pretend like we were young fangirls again with no vested interest in the eddies of politics around us. It mostly worked.

  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  5. could it be a fancy "T" & be crystal's tolyll (toil)?


If you are using LJ to comment, it may not work.