Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Manners & Mutiny Tour Navy Polka Dot Dress

I packed this dress at the last minute, Fashionable Reader, because I wanted something really easy just in case something went wrong my other outfits.

This is vintage but I think it may be 1970s not 1950s, from the stripes as well as dots and fabric (a kind of knit polyester). Don't knock it, it packs like a dream. I don't love how the stripes broaden my already broad shoulders, but it is a great dress. Here, at Porter Square Books in Boston, I am wearing it with short vintage leather gloves (gift from a friend, similar $20), slim red belt (similar $10, multiple colors), drop earrings and stacked red beaded necklace (similar set $23), the obligatory pen necklace ($19.50), red kitten heel Mary Janes, and a red felt draped hat (vintage).

Earlier that week I wore this dress with slightly different accessories.

You can see I had the necklace long (it's the same necklace both times just wrapped once around my neck, instead of twice), lazy girl hair (AKA a scarf), and I'm wearing the dress looser (AKA without the proper foundation garments). This is because in the first picture I just got off the plane and in the second I'm Prepared to Impress.

But wait, there's history...

Primrose actually wears the dress below in a pivotal negotiation scene in Imprudence. In fact, her choice of color causes a bit of a snafu for Rue. But you'll have to wait until July 2016 to find out.

Gustave Beer, 1895  The Kyoto Costume Institute

1950s  Mill Street Vintage

Lindy Bop 'Juliet' Classy Blue Polka Dot Vintage Ww2 Landgirl 1940s 1950s Pinup Retro Tea Dress $48

Navy and white in fashion sketches of the day...

 1857 Navy Pencil Dress White Belt Details Red Flower; 1857 Navy White Pencil with Brown Acessories

 1857 Navy White Pencil with Red accessories; 1957 Navy Pencil white colar

1957 Navy White Pencil Dress

Retro Rack is also on facebook where I post additional images and fashion thoughts.

You can also visit the following shopping lists: Travel Dork, My Steampunk, My Wardrobe.

1 comment:

  1. Love the Gustav Beer for Rue, colour wise. Your 'prepared to impress' version reminds me of something that Joan might wear on Mad Men. Even down to pen necklace.


If you are using LJ to comment, it may not work.