Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Black Teared Maxi-Dress Retrospective


Today, Fashionable Reader, I'm do a retrospective on one of my all time favorite pieces, a 1970's polyester black maxi dress. I picked this up in Haight Street in San Francisco, and it's not normally the kind of thing I would go for. Except, of course, that it has a pussycat bow at the neck.


But the fit on the stress is just amazing, it makes me look tall and elegant. Which, with my curvy figure, is a really challenging. It's this crazy polyester fabric, and I imagine it will last forever. However if it does ever die, I have plans to take it to a seamstress and have it remade in other fabrics.


Here I am wearing it three ways. The first image is the most common way I wear this dress, with gold accessories. The second is a steampunk variation that I use when I'm traveling and need both a evening gown and a steampunk costume on the go. The final is the dress with a 1940s style velvet jacket over-the-top.


 Well my address is clearly from the 1970sseventies, there is no doubt about that. This style of dress was common in the 1930s. Here I have a retrospective of this dress style for your entertainment. Enjoy.

Teared Black Maxi-Dresses of the 1930s

Charles James, 1930s  The Metropolitan Museum of Art

Evening Dress  Lucien Lelong, early 1930s  The Metropolitan Museum of Art

Coco Chanel, 1933  Augusta Auctions

Evening Dress  Madeleine Vionnet, 1936  The Museum at FIT

Evening Dress  Coco Chanel  1937-1938  MET

And here is a modern variant...



Retro Rack is also on facebook where I post additional images and fashion thoughts.

You can shop my recommendations via the following lists:
Steampunk, Retro Jewelry, Makeup, Retro Clothes, Lifestyle


Product links on this blog are usually to Amazon using my associate code. At no additional cost to you this means I get a slight kick back if you make a purchase. Thank you! This allows me to continue to produce this blog without sponsors.

4 comments:

  1. I love the retro dress. Looking at the pictures reminded me of several Vionnet & Chanel from the 1930s. You even used two of the Vionnet of which I thought.
    But the Pussy cat bow makes the ensemble.
    Have you tried opera gloves when wearing it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am wearing opera gloves in a number of the pictures posted.

      I do try to wear gloves at most events.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry that I didn't look more carefully. It is very apparent that you're wearing a red and cream pair of opera gloves. But what about black ones?
    BTW I really enjoyed Romancing the Inventor. I'm trying to figure out where to order the Sumage Solution. Alibris or B&N for quicker delivery.
    I ordered Romancing from&N and weeks went brand no update, so I ordered and received it from Alibris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No sorry needed!

      As for the rest of your questions, please feel free to contact me and I'll be happy to discuss them at more length: gailcarriger.com/contact

      Delete

If you are using LJ to comment, it may not work.