Thursday, August 24, 2017

Versatile Black Dupioni Suit - Daytime, Evening, Everytime Many Ways


So one of my most worn wardrobe pieces is a little black dupioni suit, Fashionable Reader. Here I am wearing it over the years in various different ways. It's basically a sheath dress with a little short jacket over top.

ALA in Las Vegas. 

I call this my Dior suit (and it might be, hard to tell as someone tore out all the lining at one point including labels). I'm thinking, from the cut and the length, that it's late 1950s.



Here is is not on my body...


"Dupioni (also referred to as Douppioni or Dupion) is a plain weave crisp type of silk fabric, produced by using fine thread in the warp and uneven thread reeled from two or more entangled cocoons in the weft. This creates tightly-woven yardage with a highly-lustrous surface."

~ From Wikipedia

Dupioni's biggest flaw is that it wrinkles, so this is one of those pieces I always have to plan time into my schedule to iron before wearing, and it's not for sitting still for long times.

The suit is basically a simple v-neck sheath dress...



The skirt is pencil and to below the knee. It's hard to tell with black fabric, but the seaming is to die for (so flattering, that image is BEFORE reduction) especially in the bodice. This is one of those deceptively simple dresses that I really wish eShakti would get hold of and deconstruct because I would buy it in a million different colors and patterns.

I find the arm holes a little high (or perhaps that's because of my swimmers shoulders which pull the bottom of the arm hole up). 

With a short jacket...



It comes with this little short jacket, one big button and a very wide lapel and the much-coveted half length sleeve. (I adore this sleeve.) Also super versatile.


Here I am wearing the whole suit as an evening look. (I met Mercedes Lackey in this outfit!) I have a fancy hair bob in, a nice jet beaded tassel necklace ($20), peep-toe wing tip stilettos, and long red gloves ($8).

All I need to do is change the hat & gloves and this look works fine for daytime too. I love that kind of versatility.


Here it is with shorter gloves and no gloves, and more casual accessories.

If I want to turn it super daytime I put a shirt on underneath it, like so...


See? I am even wearing it with flats. (I try to avoid flats with a pencil skirt but sometime the feet just hurt too much.)

And here is one of my favorite versions...


So there you have it, so many different outfits out of one vintage suit.

Any preferences on which one you like the best?

Retro Rack is also on facebook where I post additional images and fashion thoughts.

You can shop my recommendations via the following lists:
Steampunk, Retro Jewelry, Makeup, Retro Clothes, Lifestyle


Product links on this blog are usually to Amazon using my associate code. At no additional cost to you this means I get a slight kick back if you make a purchase. Thank you! This allows me to continue to produce this blog without sponsors.

2 comments:

  1. Savvy and sassy and sweet. The evening look with the long red gloves is to die for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm a fan of anything that lets me wear those gloves.

      Delete

If you are using LJ to comment, it may not work.